Opened in 1996 by the O’Brien family, the Woodlands Course remains a must-visit stop for visitors to Michigan’s Harbor Country. A course immersed in nature as golfers take on woods, water, and sloping fairways – the Woodlands Course is sure to stimulate golfer’s senses and game. The impressive 18-hole course is formidable enough to challenge the most competitive golfers yet features multiple tee placements allowing golfers of all skill levels to enjoy one of Southwest Michigan’s finest golfing experiences.
Responsible for all activities related to the care and maintenance of the golf course, grounds, and equipment. Plan and implement budgets. Hire, train and supervise staff. Apply relevant landscaping, horticultural principles to assure that quality standards are consistently achieved and/or exceeded.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
· Develop the annual maintenance budget and operating plan. Implement the plan according to Company operating policies and procedures to ensure cost containment.
· Plan and implement staffing schedules to ensure quality standards are achieved at minimum employee cost.
· Maintain the golf course in proper playing condition according to Company standards.
· Develop and maintain drainage, irrigation, pumping and water reservoir systems.
· Supervise all planting, fertilizing and care of turf, plants, shrubs, and trees on the golf course and grounds. Develop and implement a fertilizer, aeration and Integrated Pest Management program for proper turf grass and plant care.
· Supervise course construction projects.
· Supervise equipment maintenance and repair operations. Establish and implement a cleaning and preventative maintenance program for appropriate equipment, tools, vehicles, etc.
· Ensure maintenance of all appropriate quality and cleanliness standards including, but not limited to, employee hygiene and uniforms, equipment repair areas, equipment storage areas, chemical and fertilizer storage areas, receiving areas, washing areas, lunch room areas, restrooms, etc.
· Implement and monitor the purchase ordering and receiving program to maintain proper inventories of supplies and ensure proper quantity and price on all purchases.
· Ensure compliance with all applicable state and federal laws, OSHA rules and regulations, relating to chemical and fertilizer storage and disposal, employee safety, public safety, etc.
· Manage employment activities for applicable staff members, including but not limited to, personnel recruitment and selection, performance evaluations, training, compensation, discipline and termination, etc.
· Maintain knowledge of current and projected industry developments through continuous attention to industry periodicals and participation in relevant trade associations and organizations.
· Maintain accurate records for pertaining to department activities including, but not limited to, labor schedules, course maintenance, construction activities, equipment repair, safety meetings and activities, fertilizer and chemical applications and pest control practices.
· Assure the efficient and timely submission of all required operational, financial, budgetary and related reports.
· Perform other duties as appropriate.
· High school education required, college degree preferred.
· 5 years applicable functional, supervisory and/or management experience, preferably in the golf industry.
· Demonstrated experience and capability in the areas of budget development, fiscal management, strategic planning, staff management.
· Demonstrated quality written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills.
· Ability to analyze and solve problems; efficiently handle multiple duties under pressure with minimal supervision; work flexible hours as required including nights/weekends.
· Positive attitude, professional manner and appearance in all situations.