The mechanic position is responsible for trouble shooting, repairing and performing preventative maintenance on all types of vehicles/equipment and hand tools within Dakota Electric’s fleet. Repairs shall be made in a safe, cost effective and time efficient manner. The mechanic must have practical knowledge of all types of machinery and tools. The mechanic must have solid judgment and a good understanding of the possible consequences of the work they perform. Dakota Electric Association recommends that all employees display an ongoing effort to familiarize themselves with the duties and responsibilities of those positions that have direct or indirect involvement with his or her own.
1. Comply with established Dakota Electric Association safety and operating rules, policies, procedures, and guidelines. Be responsible and correct or report any unsafe practices and/or hazards to a supervisor, manager or vice president. Visibly committed and actively involved in Dakota Electric’s safety programs, initiatives and performance.
2. Maintain a clean and safe working environment to protect oneself and others in accordance with all department guidelines and all applicable company safety rules.
3. Must be able to operate all types of vehicles, equipment and tools.
4. Must be able to perform minor and major repairs on all types of equipment, including but not limited to, all vehicles, trailers, power-operated equipment as well as hand tools.
5. Will be responsible for maintaining accurate computer records of time and parts used on specific work order tasks.
6. Assist in developing transportation maintenance and repair procedures.
7. Perform all other duties as apparent or assigned by supervisor or lead mechanic.
Supervision/Direction of Others
As directed, works with the department staff and co-workers on vehicle/equipment repairs and maintenance issues. Works with individual vehicle/equipment operators to understand and solve complaints and concerns regarding proper vehicle/equipment maintenance and operation.
1. Regular and punctual attendance is an essential function of this position. Variations to the work schedule need to receive the supervisor’s approval.
2. Must travel to any location to do work in varying weather conditions and be able to work outside or inside.
3. Must be available to work before and/or after regularly scheduled work hours.
4. Must be agreeable to work other than regular hours on a fixed or rotating basis.
5. Employee may also be required to work safely and efficiently through stressful situations.
This position requires a High School diploma or its equivalent. This position also requires a minimum of a two-year degree in heavy truck mechanics at the vocational level. A minimum of five years of experience may be substituted for the vocational school requirement.
Certified hybrid vehicle training is preferred. If candidate does not possess a Fluid Power Certification, they will be highly encouraged to become a Fluid Power Certified Mobile Hydraulic Mechanic (MHM). If candidate is not a certified DOT Inspector, they must obtain the certification within the first six months of their hire date.
1. Must have thorough knowledge and experience with but not limited to: hydraulic systems, gas engines, diesel engines, electrical systems, drive trains and various hand tools.
2. Must be proficient with different types of welding equipment and cutting torches.
3. Must have working knowledge of vehicle diagnostic tools.
4. Must have computer skills including but not limited to Microsoft Outlook.
5. Must be able to add, subtract, multiply and divide.
6. Must have the knowledge and ability to prioritize job tasks.
7. Must be able to work independently.
8. Must pursue personal development opportunities and is committed to staying current within field of work.
9. Must support teamwork by participating, cooperating, and communicating with co-workers.
10. Required to hold a current MN commercial driver’s license (CDL) and health card. Must have a minimum of a CDL Class B; a CDL Class A is preferred.
11. Must be able to effectively communicate with customers and co-workers by providing accurate, meaningful, courteous and timely responses to their questions or concerns.